Culture is all human endeavors to achieve human welfare. One of them is art which is an element of that culture. Culture includes all or patterns of thinking, feeling and acting. All patterns of behavior and patterns of community thinking are manifestations of culture.
Consists of various tribes, each of which has a variety of regional cultures that characterize the ethnic groups. Art has several branches, each of which has a basic medium, among others: the basic medium of Literary Arts language, the main medium of Fine Arts is space-color lines, Theater Art / Drama is basically acting, Art medium is the main sound or sound and medium Dance basically motion.
The art of dance is a work of fiction (fiction) created based on certain images. The imagination that is shown is in the form of motion exploited to express all human life and motion that is used to express human thoughts and feelings.
Dance is an art that gets considerable attention and has an important role in people’s lives. And also dance functions as an educational tool, as a person or group self-projection, and also for entertainment. Dance becomes an art that is very much dealing with personal history or personal participation which always questions the stagnation of tradition or custom which limits the space for the movement of art and its artists.
Normal human beings will have and need art-shaped meals that each person will have different choices and preferences. If we pay attention, the baby who has just been born, as proof that he moves some of his limbs. Motion is the main element in dance, so the movements shown contain certain meanings or meanings. Thus, dance is an expression of the soul that uses the basic medium of motion that can be enjoyed with taste.
Taste in art plays a very important role. Why? Because both working artists and connoisseurs/art lovers alike use the feeling of working and living the artwork.
Based on the theme, dance art is divided into two, namely:
- Dramatic Dance / Sendra Dance / Musical: This dance is generally in the form of a drama with dialogue or narrator in it, such as puppets
- Non Dramatic Dance
The benefits of dance in everyday life are:
• Dance for traditional ceremonies: Special dances for traditional ceremonies, such as Balia and Raego.
• Social Dance: Dance that functions as a means to express joy, for example, Dero Dance.
• Performing dance: Dances that are worked specifically from patterns, aesthetically, come up with concepts that are specific to indoor or outdoor performances.
Dance is divided into three, namely:
- Dance Creation: A form of dance with traditional movements or that has been developed according to the function and situation. The element used in this dance is tourism entertainment.
- Traditional dance: A form of movement that is still original and passed directly from one generation to the next. Usually, this dance is in the form of traditional ceremonies, ritual ceremonies and carried out in bulk. The element used in this dance is Penniman. (Balia, Raego, Jinja, Vunja)
- Modern dance: The form of dance that holds the whole concept, usually combines the movement of tradition and creation in one claim. The elements used in this dance are artistic and conceptual. (Ballet Dance, Contemporary Dance, Break Dance, Hip Hop, and Floor Dance).